The Chamber is the voice for your business in government. We actively develop and promote policy positions on critical issues impacting the business community, as well as continuously assert our role as the leading business organization in the community on your behalf on all levels of government. The Chamber’s Government Affairs promotes policy priorities that support the expansion of business and protects employers.
A fundamental component of the Chamber’s mission is to advocate the views of the business community to our elected officials. This is done by engaging elected officials in meaningful policy discussions on your behalf. Our Government Affairs Committee is a dynamic volunteer committee of Chamber leaders who guide the Chamber in its public policy positions.
The Chamber’s legislative and policy priorities are developed by its Governmental Affairs Committee. This committee analyzes issues and makes determinations that guide the Chamber’s positioning on matters to promote fiscal responsibility at the state and local government levels, improve our education system, and strengthen the business environment and economy in our community.
Are you interested in serving on the Governmental Affairs Committee? If so, please contact the Chamber office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 770-483-7049.
2019 Legislative Priorities
- Maintain the authority of the local Board of Education by opposing any legislation that attempts to override the constitutional authority of the locally elected Board of Education.
- Support a fair and equitable system of teacher /leader evaluation that utilizes a growth/progress model for student achievement.
- Cease Austerity Reductions and restore full funding to Public Education and support a fair and equitable state funding formula for public education.
- Support continuing elimination of fraud and waste in existing government plans like Medicare, Medicaid and /or PeachCare.
Prevention & Wellness
Support voluntary prevention and wellness initiatives that create cost savings for employers, employees and providers.
- Improve Georgia’s infrastructure through maximizing current revenue sources and increasing overall funding for transportation.
- Increased funding for REBA, One Georgia, Quickstart and ICAPP as well as fully funding state programs and departments vital to economic development.
- Support incentives that will continue to attract the film industry to Georgia.
- Support ongoing examination of current tax base, tax rates and compliance requirement to ensure a Georgia business environment that is fair and competitive.
- Identify and support ways to increase access to job training skills and the Technical College System of Georgia for our workforce.
- Seek and support legislation that provides stiffer penalties to include restitution and mandatory jail time for Identity Theft.
- Support market-driven healthcare which will reduce the cost of insurance to employers. Allow employers to shop health care insurance across state boarders that will provide adequate healthcare coverage and rein in costs for business owners.
“Using the Chamber as part of your marketing strategy will provide you a great deal of value and return for your investment many times over.”
-Ken Holmes, Selective Solutions
“As a young professional getting started in the insurance industry, the chamber of commerce has been an incredible resource. The opportunity to be able to network and connect with business owners who have been in the game for awhile has provided invaluable experience. I truly feel like I can attribute much of my success so far to a strong chamber of commerce and all the opportunities that are provided to get plugged in.”
- Chris Simmons, Chapman Insurance Group Inc., Nationwide Insurance
“As one of the oldest businesses in Conyers, we have been part of the Conyers-Rockdale Chamber most of those 37 years and have always found value in the many programs offered by the Chamber.”
-Owners, Danny & Cindy Lockhart, Your Town Magazine and Clean & Tidy Carpet Cleaning
“The Leads Group experience has brought a very personal touch to our Chamber membership. We have been able to make many connections that have increased our organization’s presence in the community!”
-Melanie Hutcheson, Rockdale CASA, Inc.
“As a local non-profit joining the Conyers-Rockdale Chamber has been one of the most effective and beneficial decisions we at AWAKE Coffee Community have made. Now in our third consecutive year, I firmly believe we would not have experienced the growth we have without the support and encouragement of our Thursday community connectors leads group.”
-Noelle Cosby, President and Co-Founder
“Copy Central has been in business in Conyers/Rockdale County for the past 9 years. Shortly after we opened in Conyers we joined the Chamber with the hopes that we would meet prospective customers. Being an active Member of the Chamber has allowed us not only to grow our Customer base but to get involved in the Community on a more personal basis. Many members of the Chamber are not only Customers of Copy Central but are valued Friends and Partners in Community Affairs.”
-Dotti Bala, Copy Central, Inc.
“The Conyers-Rockdale Chamber is a great way to meet business people in the community and to make business connections that benefit every one involved. Also a great way to plug in by serving on any of the many committees that the Chamber offers. Definitely a positive return on our investment at Conyers Flower Shop, Inc.”
-Alan Sherrill, Conyers Flower Shop, Inc.
“My Thursday morning leads group has been great for my business. In the last 12 months, I have had about 20 different leads passed to me and that equaled about $80,000 in closed business. We are like family now!”
-Thomas C. Dean, III, Premier Flooring Group